Vacuum-Forming RC-Body Shells
This work-in-progress. Just wanted to let me know. :-D
I wanted to make my own body shells, ones NO ONE has. Insane, I know. :)
The Vacuum-Forming Tools
I made two VacForm-Boxes: One with 50cm x 28cm and one 64cm x 34cm. Why?
- The 50cm x 28cm - sized: because I can cut 3 sheets from the supplied 1000x500mm PET-G sheets
- The 64cm x 34cm - sized: because some body shells are too large for 50cmx28cm. Unfortunately I can cut only one out of above mentioned sheets.
The boxes are around 10cm high and have one 35mm - hole on the side to attach the vacuumer.
I recommend rubber seals like this: E-Profil-Seal
Ah yes - the most important part. The positive form. I could talk hours about what to do, and what not (that is, you supply enough beverages :-D ).
The Lessons Learned
- Print the parts as big as you can, less transitions, less filling
- Filling takes more time than 3D-designing (see the Ghia's windows!)
- 140°C is about right for PET-G
- Act quickly! Heat it up, fire up the vacuumer and hat the box with the frame the fast and accurately you can!
- ...and maybe weird...
- Brits: Be proud of spelling it right!