Schick 4.0 FAQ
This page tries to answer the most frequest questions regarding Schick 4.0.
- 1 General Questions
- 2 Usage
- 2.1 How do I use Schick to send files?
- 2.2 Why is my user image not shown in the browser window?
- 2.3 Why does Schick try to access my contacts?
- 2.4 I denied Schick to access my contacts, and now I don't have a user image in the browser - how do I fix this?
- 2.5 I just changed my user image, but Schick won't show it!
- 2.6 How do I add a peer that is not reachable by Bonjour?
- 2.7 What is my IP address (and port)?
- 3 Debugging
- 4 Somehow irrelevant questions
Is Schick 4.0 compatible with prior versions?
Answer: No, since the 4.0-rewrite of the whole networking code Schick is incompatible with 1.x, 2.x and 3.x versions.
Does it support IPv6?
Does it support files larger than 2GB (largefile support)?
How do I use Schick to send files?
Answer: To send a file to another peer, just drag & drop the file on the user image in the browser.
Why is my user image not shown in the browser window?
Why does Schick try to access my contacts?
Answer: Schick tries to retrieve your user image from your contact. No other information is read from your contacts! I promise!
- Please click "OK" to allow access:
I denied Schick to access my contacts, and now I don't have a user image in the browser - how do I fix this?
Answer: Follow this steps:
- First, open your system preferences and click the Security & Privacy-icon:
- Click Privacy:
- Click the checkbox to allow Schick accessing your contact to obtain your avatar:
I just changed my user image, but Schick won't show it!
- Please make sure, you changed the image of your Contact (me) in your Contacts (if you're using 10.7: Addressbook)
- As of OS X 10.8 and 10.9, this will take effect after you logged out and in again
How do I add a peer that is not reachable by Bonjour?
(If it's in another subnet, or Bonjour doesn't work properly)
Use the "Add by address…"-feature as described here
If you're more the hacker- than the user-type, try something like this:
- …and many more…
What is my IP address (and port)?
How do I turn on debug logging?
A: Just hold down the command key (⌘) on launch. It will be automatically turned off again on quit. Log entries can be found in Console or in ~/Library/Containers/net.wurst-wasser.Schick/Library/Logs/Schick.log.
Schick can't find the other Macs in the network! (Help! Mac A can "see" Mac B, but Mac B can't "see" Mac A)
Please check with Tildesofts Bonjour Browser! If it also doesn't show any peers, it's most likely your WiFi doesn't support multicasts the way it should. This happened to Heiko too...WiFi & Bonjour seems to be a bit of a problem. If you want to use Bonjour over WiFi, I'd recommend buying a good Access Point (Apple Airport, Cisco, Ubiquiti).
Please try again over Ethernet, and if that works out, make sure your WiFi supports Bonjour...
Switch to Ethernet. No, really. Your Bonjour-related problems (with Schick, Airprint, iTunes Sharing etc.) will be gone!
* If you don't see all peers, try: ⌘⇧R
* If other peers don't see you, try: ⌘R
If you can't or don't want to switch to Ethernet, try adding your peers manually instead of using Bonjour. See Schick 4.0 Add By Address.
It might be caused by a haywired firewall setting. Just remove all incoming connection connections, stop your firewall, reboot, start your firewall.
- Add (if missing) an entry for Schick:
- stop your firewall
- start firewall
Somehow irrelevant questions
Do you like the 11th doctor?
What's your favourite doctor?
A: The fourth, Tom Baker. But I also enjoy watching Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant.
What's your favourite beer?
A: Lone Star!